What does a Gambling Self-Restriction in BetBlocker do?
When you set a Gambling Self-Restriction in BetBlocker the tool will automatically restrict you device from accessing any of the gambling operator URLs in our database. We update this database on a weekly basis to ensure that you are offered the maximum possible protection.
Can I remove a Gambling Self-Restriction after it has started?
Gambling addiction is a condition that is commonly associated with an inability to control ones impulses to wager. That being the case this tool would be ineffective at preventing gambling relapses if you could disable it during a Gambling Self-Restriction. As such, once a Gambling Self-Restriction has been activated it cannot be lifted. Even uninstalling the tool or deleting the files associated with the tool will not lift the restriction.
Can you remove a Gambling Self-Restriction after I’ve activated it?
No. Once you have activated a Gambling Self-Restriction the only way to end it is to wait until your chosen Gambling Self-Restriction period has concluded. For ethical reasons and the protection of problem gamblers our support team will not under any circumstances assist a user to disable an active Gambling Self-Restriction.
How long can I Self-Restriction for?
There are a wide range of Gambling Self-Restriction options available when activating a Self-Restriction. Currently we offer 24h, 2 days, 3 days, 5 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years or forever.
Can I extend my Gambling Self-Restriction?
Yes. At any point while you have an active Gambling Self-Restriction you can go into BetBlocker and extend the length of the Gambling Self-Restriction. This will be implemented immediately.
Can I exclude from sites other than gambling operators?
Yes. While setting up a Gambling Self-Restriction our full list of gambling operators will always be included (see our Parental Controls setting for options without restricting online gambling websites). However you can choose to include other sites in your restrictions.
We include an optional list of gambling information and advertisement sites that can be included in your Gambling Self-Restriction (this includes being able to exclude yourself from the service that funds BetBlocker) and allow you to include custom URLs so that you can include any site not on our list in your Gambling Self-Restriction.
Please be aware that any URL you include in your Gambling Self-Restriction will remain blocked for the entire length of the Gambling Self-Restriction. You cannot remove URLs from a Gambling Self-Restriction once it has been activated.
Will my Gambling Self-Restriction automatically be lifted at the end of my selected exclusion period?
This depends on the length of exclusion you select:
- If you select 24h, 2 days, 3 days, 5 days, 1 week, 2 weeks or 1 month the exclusion will be automatically lifted at the end of the period you selected.
- If you select 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years or 5 years the exclusion will continue indefinitely unless you specifically deactivate it. If you request to deactivate the tool it will automatically continue of 1 week. This is called a “Cooling Off Period” and is intended to ensure that you are not acting on a potentially harmful impulse. At any point during the Cooling Off Period you can extend your Gambling Self-Restriction and the restriction will not end. If you do not extend your Gambling Self-Restriction during the Cooling Off Period the restrictions will automatically be lifted at the end of the 1 week Cooling Off Period.
- If you select Forever your Gambling Self-Restriction will last for a minimum of 5 years. When setting up a Gambling Self-Restriction and selecting to be excluded Forever you will be required to set-up a password. At the end of the 5 year period you will only be able to lift your Gambling Self-Restriction if you can enter the password you created when setting the exclusion up. This way, if you genuinely don’t want the restriction to ever be lifted you can simply enter a non-sense password that you won’t remember. If you do look to lift this Gambling Self-Restriction after the 5 years and can enter in the correct password your exclusion will automatically continue for 1 week. This is called a “Cooling Off Period” and is intended to ensure that you are not acting on a potentially harmful impulse. At any point during the Cooling Off Period you can extend your Gambling Self-Restriction and the restriction will not end. If you do not extend your Gambling Self-Restriction during the Cooling Off Period the restrictions will automatically be lifted at the end of the 1 week Cooling Off Period.
How do the restrictions BetBlocker offers compare with those required by the various online gambling regulatory bodies?
The restrictions offered by BetBlocker represent the strongest restrictions required by a combination of the UK Gambling Commission and the Malta Gambling Authority:
- As required by both regulatory authorities a Gambling Self-Restriction will automatically exclude you from all properties on a license (and thousands of other operators)
- As required by the UKGC, once a Gambling Self-Restriction has been activated it cannot be lifted until the full term of the selected exclusion has been complete.
- As required by the UKGC, Gambling Self-Restriction of longer than 6 months (we actually apply this from 2 months upward) are automatically left in place at the end of the exclusion period, can only be lifted by your explicit request and a Cooling Off Period is required where a request to lift the Gambling Self-Restriction is made.
- As required by the MGA the Cooling Off Period enforced after any request to remove a Gambling Self-Restriction is a full seven days before the restrictions will be lifted.
Someone else activated BetBlocker on my device. Can you remove it for me?
I’m selling my device to someone else. Can you remove BetBlocker for me?